How to Look Chic When Traveling
Finding the right traveling clothes that cover all your needs for a long plane ride can be tricky – especially when travel outfits aren’t really JUST for the plane… This same travel outfit needs to carry you from your home, to the airport, plane, taxi & uber rides, trains and everything in-between until you reach your final destination.
After considering all of the varying accommodations your ensemble may require, one might wonder if it’s even possible to have cute travel outfits. You’re in luck, because we have a method to create chic outfits that check all the right boxes!
Also included in this article is personal clothing stylist Meg Gallagher’s Travel Packing List, as well as a link to her personal shopper services.
Important Elements in a Chic Travel Outfit
Comfortable, But Not Sloppy – When you’re sitting in one place for a long time, your outfit needs to be comfortable – sometimes, comfortable enough to even sleep in! Stick with wrinkle resistant materials that are roomy and layerable.
Slip on Shoes – Don’t create more hassle than necessary with TSA. Make sure your shoes are easy to take on and off. Think comfortable loafers, slides, low heel ankle boots and slip on sneakers.
Think of Your Location – Travel outfits also need to be weather and locationally appropriate from your start to end destination.
Traveling to somewhere tropical? Keep your base layers breezy and light.
Traveling to Europe? Think classic, layerable pieces like chic knit separates.
Traveling in Layers – Travel outfits should be adjustable in layers to accommodate surprises in temperature (such as air-conditioning, or lack thereof). Layers like a blanket scarf, sweater, cardigan or thin jacket can be a life saver on a plane with extreme air conditioning. Make sure your layers are easy to peel off if a full flight gets too toasty.
The Finishing Touch – Keep simple, chic jewelry tucked in your purse to accessorize near the end of your flight – Walk off the plane in style!
We’ve come up with three travel-ready outfit ideas to copy for your next vacation.
The Slouchy Knit Dress
Pair an easygoing knit dress with slip on sneakers, slides or loafers and top it off with a blazer, oversized coat or shacket.
Shop Comfy Knit Dresses
Easy-Pair Matching Sets
Matching sets have a monochrome chicness that elevates an outfit despite the casual silhouette. Pair with a lightweight trench, jacket or blazer and wear with slip on sneakers, slides or loafers.
Shop Chic Matching Sets
The Chic Tee Fit
Yes – You CAN wear a basic tee and make it chic!
Keep your bottoms simple and comfortable like your top – Boyfriend jeans, Leggings or Slouchy Trousers are all great options. Elevate the look with a fabulous outer later like a blazer, denim jacket, oversized coat or shacket. Finish it off with chic jewelry and sunglasses.
Shop Outer Layers for Travel
The Travel Packing List
Check out Meg Gallagher’s Packing List for Travel and Vacation!
• XL Travel Tote with a Trolley Sleeve, easy carry on with lots of room
• Travel Packing Cubes that Double for Laundry
• Distinct Luggage Tag
• Windproof Travel Umbrella
• TSA, Global Entry or Clear so you can ’skip the lines’
• TSA Approved Toiletry Bag
• Book or Kindle
• Travel Pillow or Packable Jacket that doubles as a pillow
• Portable Charger
• Anything else that is a ’must-have’ for the next 24 hours in case your travel
is delayed or luggage is lost
• 1 Piece of Luggage for carry-on or check
• 2 Pc Lounge Set that doubles as sleepwear
• Underthings – include shapewear or strapless bra if necessary
• 1 Workout Look
• 1 Swim Look, pending destination
• 2 Looks for Travel Days back and forth – include layer for plane
• 2 Dress Looks that double for day to evening
• 1 Pant Look
• 1-2 Extra Tanks or Tees in case you get a stain, or perspire through others
• 1 Blazer or Light Jacket Trench in case of weather
• 1 Handbag for Business
• 1 Small Clutch for Evening that can be stored inside handbag
• 1 Sneaker for Workout and Walking
• 1 Mid Heeled Shoe for business and evening looks
• 1 Flat Shoe for Travel Days
• Jewelry that works with all the looks – pack in carry-on tote if checking bag
Want a customized Travel wardrobe? Personal Stylist Meg Gallagher can help!
Check out her travel styling services here.